BlastPoint is a B2B data Science Company located in the East Liberty neighborhood of
Pittsburgh. As a values-driven organization, we give companies the power to solve Business problems through AI. Serving the retail, energy and transportation sectors, BlastPoint builds software tools that enable companies to discover the humans in their data so they can serve them better. Founded in 2016 by Carnegie Mellon Alumni, we are a tight-knit, forward-thinking team.
Why You Should Work for Us
At BlastPoint, you will have the opportunity to solve interesting problems using the latest technology. You will build solutions that make positive change in the world: reducing carbon footprints, helping struggling families pay their bills, reducing the paper used in billing, and more. We offer competitive salaries and health coverage with additional perks like flexible schedules and generous time off. BlastPoint offers a supportive and collaborative atmosphere. We cultivate an environment of continual learning and provide opportunities to pick up additional job skills and attend conferences.
As a senior software developer at BlastPoint, you will be responsible for the architecture, design, implementation and deployment of our software-as-a-service platform. You will create solutions that allow our customers to understand their large datasets through data visualization and geospatial tools. You will work closely with the executive team to translate product vision and business needs into clean and scalable code. We are a small startup, so you will have a lot of responsibility, but also autonomy and flexibility in how you choose to accomplish your goals. As we grow, you will collaborate with our data science team to integrate machine-learning tasks into our platform.
● 3+ years of professional programming experience
● Proven experience as a full stack developer or similar role
● Expert knowledge of Python (strongly preferred) or other object-oriented language
● Expert knowledge of a web framework, such as Django, Flask or Rails
● Understanding of REST principles, service-oriented architecture and API development
● A history of writing clean code, refactoring and participating in code review
● Knowledge of Unit Testing and Test-Driven Development
● Strong MySQL or PostgreSQL skills
● 1+ years experience with React/Redux
● Understanding of Linux and Ubuntu operating systems
● Experience with the AWS ecosystem (EC2, RDS, S3, CodePipeline)
● Familiarity with Docker, Docker Compose and best practices
● Experience deploying code to cloud-based and on-prem infrastructure
● Good written and oral communication skills
● Authorized to work in the United States
● Ability to commute to the Pittsburgh, PA office daily Preferred Skills and Experience
● Experience or familiarity with Django Rest Framework and Swagger
● Knowledge of Pandas and/or noted experience with ETL operations
● Experience with Mapbox (experience with vector tiles is amazing!)
● An interest in geospatial technologies and knowledge (can you name all 50 state capitals?)
● Experience with CI/CD pipeline tooling and deployments
● A love of data, including, but not limited to, sources such as Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization (BFRO) or NUFORC database of UFO sightings from US and Canada.
BlastPoint provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.