Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Posting #: 16-069
Campus: Foothill College
Number of Working Months: 10 Months
Starting Salary: $57,066.00 - $93,722.00 annually*
Open Until Filled: Open Until Filled
Employment Duration: Full-Time
Initial Review Date: 2/15/17*
*Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request. The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the faculty position of Instructor, Geography, Foothill College.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
Foothill College is seeking a dynamic, motivated, and collegial full-time Geography instructor with a strong commitment to the missions of California's community colleges. The successful candidate will teach college-level Geography courses. Assignment may include evening classes. Participate in Geography Department activities such as curriculum development, and selection of texts.
Standard duties expected of all faculty include development and evaluation of curricula, maintaining scheduled office hours, attendance at department and division meetings, pursuing professional growth activities, and performing other duties consistent with the role of an instructor. Instructors also have the opportunity to serve on District and college committees and participate in campus extra-curricular activities.
Faculty also is responsible for developing and assessing Student Learning Outcomes. We seek faculty members who are themselves the life-long learners and independent thinkers we wish our students to become. We are looking for educators who are creative and responsible in their use of time and resources, who possess a clear vision for creating a democratic learning environment and who can translate that vision into practice.
1. Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
2. Master's degree in geography OR bachelor's degree in geography AND master's degree in geology, history, meteorology, or oceanography OR the equivalent.
1. Knowledge, ability and enthusiasm to teach the full scope of lower division transfer level Geography classes.
2. Experience using geospatial technology in a classroom setting.
3. Successful experience teaching students of ethnically and culturally diverse backgrounds at the community college level.
4. Experience and/or strong interest in teaching courses online.
5. Initiative and ability to develop and update curriculum.
6. Knowledge of and experience with current computer software as it relates to higher education and Geography.
7. Commitment to the mission of the community college and its philosophy of education
8. Demonstrated enthusiasm and interest in working cooperatively with colleagues in multiple departments and in serving on college committees in a shared governance organization.
1. A District application to be completed at http://hr.fhda.edu/employment2/ *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
2. A cover letter that explains your interest in and enthusiasm for teaching Geography students at a community college.
3. A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
4. In a supplemental attachment provide a response of no more than two double spaced typed pages to the following question: What would you do as a faculty member to increase student retention, course completion and persistence in Geography courses at Foothill College?
NOTE: Official Transcripts verifying qualifications will be REQUIRED prior to an offer of employment. Applicants who have international transcripts must obtain transcripts that are evaluated by an independent educational-equivalency evaluation company and obtain an English translation (if necessary). These services are to be done at the applicant's expense. Both Foothill De Anza CCD employees and external candidates must submit transcripts.
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application materials. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date.
HIRING RANGE: $57,066.00 - $93,722.00* annually plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant's verified education and experience*.
For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to:
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Faculty are also eligible for paid sabbatical leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.
For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits
1. Endurance within a classroom setting, teaching students while standing, sitting, or walking throughout the classroom.
2. Use of aids such as chalkboards, posters, bulletin boards, overhead projector, television, recorder, computer, and technological equipment.
3. Retrieval, use, storage, and light lifting of teaching material, including books, equipment, assignments, etc.
4. Personally model subject-matter knowledge in written and oral language.
5. Accurately assess students' learning abilities, needs, and styles.
6. Seeing to read various materials.
7. Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person.
8. Develop and implement a behavioral management process for monitoring, evaluating, and managing both appropriate and inappropriate student behaviors.
9. Address stressful events, created by hostile students by (a) maintaining emotional control, (b) listening without judgment or retaliation, (c) reasoning objectively and consistently, (d) keeping at the forefront the best interests of the student, and (e) maintaining professionalism and due process.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-time, Regular Tenure-track, 10-months per year
STARTING DATE: Fall 2017
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement.
The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
This position will become Open Until Filled after the initial Closing Date. Any complete applications received while the position is Open Until Filled will be reviewed by the hiring committee only upon committee request.
To apply, visit: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency