The Brown University Library is delighted to announce a new position: the Director of its Center for Digital Scholarship (CDS). CDS is a locus for digital activities at Brown, providing expertise and training in text analysis, text encoding, data management, geospatial analysis and data, digital publishing and scholarly project management. Members of CDS partner with faculty and students on developing and sustaining digital projects. They work closely with Library staff and other groups on campus to develop digital projects and support scholarly communication. The Library recently created the Digital Scholarship Lab and Digital Studio -- collaborative spaces for faculty and students to engage in visualization, video and audio production, 3D printing, and creative teaching and research â?? which is managed by CDS.
We seek an enthusiastic, strategic, and well-organized leader to provide vision for the Center as well as direction and oversight for the Libraryâ??s digital scholarship services, spaces, and operations. As the direct supervisor of the Data Visualization Coordinator, Digital Humanities Librarians, the Social Sciences Data Librarian, and the Scientific Data Management Specialist, the Director manages and coordinates CDS outreach and work on research projects across the disciplines. The Director develops and promotes the Libraryâ??s intellectual programming related to digital scholarship and partners with
members of the Libraryâ??s leadership team and specialists throughout the library to integrate CDSâ??s goals and activities into the overall services and strategic directions of the Brown University Library.
- Advanced degree preferred (or equivalent experience) in the humanities, social sciences, or library or information science with a focus on digital scholarship or data curation.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in an administrative position that includes successful management and supervision of personnel, as well as demonstrated leadership, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Significant and progressively responsible experience engaging with and managing digital scholarly projects at a major academic institution.
- Ability to work cooperatively and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, faculty, staff, and students.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Excellent analytical, oral, and written communication skills.
- Experience with current technologies for digital scholarship and the ability to advise on hardware and software purchasing and implementation.
- Demonstrated understanding of the scholarly applications of digital tools, metadata standards and data encoding standards.
- Evidence of research or publication on topics relating to digital scholarship as well as participation in national or international committees and collaborative efforts.
- Familiarity with recent scholarship and understanding of emergent best practices in digital scholarship.
- Familiarity with data curation and data management practices across the disciplines.
- Successful experience with grant writing and management.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity.
Background Check - All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background check and education verification satisfied to Brown.
Recruiting Start Date:2016-11-15-08:00
Job Posting Title:Director of the Center for Digital Scholarship
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sexual orientation and/or gender identity, sex, sex orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.